Coronavirus: Individual & Community Support

Getting Help

This is a very challenging time for many people. Listed below are some resources if you do need to reach out for help.

The most up-to-date guidance on coronavirus can be found here.

If you think you have coronavirus:

Please follow NHS guidelines on self-isolation.

If you need medical help for any reason, do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.

If you have symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature or a new, continuous cough), use the 111 coronavirus service.

If you need help or advice not related to coronavirus:

  • for health information and advice, use the NHS website or your GP surgery website
  • for urgent medical help, use the NHS 111 online service – only call 111 if you're unable to get help online
  • for life-threatening emergencies, call 999 for an ambulance

Dental treatment

All routine dental treatment has been stopped at the moment.

If you think you need urgent dental treatment, do not go to a dentist.


Support for victims of domestic abuse

Despite Coronavirus, if you are at risk from abuse, you CAN leave the home to get the support you need.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic abuse you can call the National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247, which is open 24 hours.

If are in immediate danger, you should call 999. If you are unable to talk, then press 55.

More information on support for victims of domestic abuse can be found here.

Mental health support

If you are struggling mentally during this very difficult time, please reach out for help. 

NHS mental health advice here

Government mental health guidanc here.

Government guidance for supporting young people’s mental health & wellbeing here.

Bucks Mind here

Young Minds here.

Samaritans: 24/7 phone service - 116 123 or email

Community Support

If you are self-isolating or shielding and need help getting supplies:

Buckinghamshire Council have a Coronavirus Community Support Hub that has information on how to get help getting essential shopping or prescriptions from the many excellent voluntary groups that have been set up. It also has information on how to volunteer if you are able to help your community.

If you need help, you can find your local group here.

If you are able to offer help, please go here.

Vulnerable People

Registering as 'extremely vulnerable'

If you have a medical condition that puts you at very high risk of severe illness from coronavirus there is additional guidance on shielding to protect yourself from coronavirus. The shielding web page also has guidance for informal carers of extremely vulnerable people.

The list of conditions that this advice applies to can be found here.

You can register yourself as 'extremely vulnerable' here.

Register with this service if either:

  • you have a medical condition which means you’re classed as being clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus
  • you’ve been told by your GP or hospital clinician that you’re clinically extremely vulnerable and need to ‘shield’

The NHS in England is directly contacting people with these conditions to provide further advice.

If you think you fall into one of the categories of extremely vulnerable people listed on the government web page and you have not received a letter or been contacted by your GP, you should discuss your concerns with your GP or hospital clinician.